How to Set Up Amazon Alexa Devices with the SmartRent System
If you have a Amazon Alexa-enabled device such as an Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show, Echo Spot, Echo Look, Echo Plus or most other third-party devices that have Alexa built in, you are able to connect your Alexa account to your SmartRent account and control your SmartRent devices using voice commands.
Before getting started, please ensure both your hub and your Alexa device are connected to the internet.
To Get Started:
- Download the Amazon Alexa app on your phone.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app.
- Tap on the menu in the upper left corner.
- Tap on Skills & Games.
- Search for SmartRent and select the SmartRent skill.
- Tap Enable to Use.
- Enter your SmartRent credentials and tap authorize.
- If you do not receive the page to authorize right away, tap done in the upper left.
9. Click on the enable use button again.
10. Scroll down and click allow from this page to authorize.
Once authorized, your devices will appear in the smart home section of the Amazon Alexa app and you can start controlling them using voice commands. Please also check to make sure you don't have multiple devices under the same name as this can cause a response similar to this: "You have multiple devices that are named XXX....." In order to fix this, open the Alexa app and tap on "Smart Home," which will bring up your devices. Scroll through the list and make sure each device has a unique name.
Adding a New Device to Alexa:
If you already have Alexa connected to your devices and you are adding a new one that was recently paired to the hub, please follow these steps:
1. Open the Alexa app and tap on devices.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the menu and tap on other.
3. Tap on discover devices and it should populate any new devices.
To use Alexa with SmartRent:
A full list of commands that Alexa understands can be found on Amazon.com. Below are a few examples of commands you can use. Some of them may not be available as it depends on what devices you have connected to your SmartRent account.
- Turn on the kitchen lights
- Turn off the lights
Air Conditioning & Heating
- Set the thermostat to 72 degrees
- What is the temperature in here
- Set the thermostat to off
- What is my thermostat set to?
Please note that you are not able to command Alexa to turn your thermostat on and off. The correct phrase to turn ON a thermostat is, "Alexa, set the thermostat to cool/heat/auto." The correct phrase to turn OFF a thermostat is, "Alexa ,set the thermostat to off."
Doors and Locks
- Lock the front door
For security purposes, we do NOT allow voice commands to unlock a door.