Effective January 1, 2020
By visiting the Site, using or downloading the App, or using any of our Services, you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this Policy. Your use of our Site or Services, and any dispute over privacy, is subject to this Policy and our Terms of Service, including its applicable limitations on damages and the resolution of disputes. SmartRent’s Terms of Service are incorporated by reference into this Policy.
- Information We Collect About You
- How We Use Your Information
- How We Share Your Information
- Third-Party Links
- Security of My Personal Information
- Access to My Personal Information
- What Choices Do I Have Regarding Use of My Personal Info
- Children under 13
- Privacy Notice for California Residents
- Contact Us
1. Information We Collect About You
We collect information about you directly from you and from third parties, as well as automatically through your use of our Site or Services.
Information We Collect Directly From You. Certain areas and features of our Services require registration. To register you must provide your full name, email address, password, and phone number. We also may collect additional optional information from you, however, you are not required to provide us with this information.
Information We Collect Automatically. We may automatically collect information about your use of our Site or Services through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies, including technologies designed for mobile apps. We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal information Please see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below for more information.
- domain name;
- your browser type and operating system;
- web pages you view; links you click; your IP address;
- the length of time you visit our Site and/or use our Services; and
- the referring URL, or the webpage that led you to our Site.
- your device’s location information. With your consent, we will collect location information from your device’s web browser. We use this information to ensure our app works and is displayed properly or send you notifications.
- mobile device ID; device name and model; operating system type, name, and version;
- language information;
- activities within the App, such as turning lights on and off, temperature settings, etc.
- the length of time that you are logged into our App and;
- location information: with your consent, we will collect location information from your mobile device to enable features in a home vs away scenario. You may choose not to enable this feature, but there may be a loss of some functionality within the app if you do so.
2. How We Use Your Information
We use your information, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
- Providing and Improving our Services: To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other customer service purposes.
- Tailoring Content: To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or our Services.
- Marketing and Communications: For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your mobile phone number, our app, or your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our Services on third party websites.
- Research and Analytics: To better understand how you access and use our Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site and Services and respond to your desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
- Legal Compliance: To comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; to respond to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a governmental authority.
3. How We Share Your Information
5. Third-Party Links
6. Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100 percent security.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
7. Access to My Personal Information
You may modify personal information that you have submitted by logging into your account and updating your profile information. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Site or App for a period of time.
8. What Choices Do I Have Regarding Use of My Personal Information?
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails or text messages to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email, in-app push notification or text message. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails, push notifications or text messages about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
9. Children Under 13
Our Services are not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
10. Privacy Notice for California Residents
Categories of Personal Information that We Collect and Disclose
As required by the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), the below discloses the categories of personal information about California consumers that we collect and disclose for a business purpose, where we are a “business.”
SmartRent is a “business” as defined by the CCPA only for the personal information it collects from users of our Services. Where we receive Tenants’ personal information from Landlords, SmartRent is a “service provider” as defined by the CCPA. SmartRent does not sell your personal information, regardless of the capacity in which it is acting.
SmartRent collects and discloses for a business purpose the following categories of personal information about you:
- Identifiers, such as name, email address, online identifier, Internet Protocol address.
- Customer Information, such as name, address, telephone number, payment card number (collected by our payment processor if you make a purchase).
- Commercial Information, such as products or services purchased, obtained, or considered.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an Internet website, application, or advertisement.
We receive your personal information from you, either when you provide it directly or when you use our Services. Please see “Information You Provide to Us and How We Share It” above for information on the purposes for which we collect your personal information. Please see “How We Share Your Information” above for information on the categories of third parties with which we share your personal information.
California Consumer Rights
California law grants consumers certain rights and imposes restrictions on particular business practices as set forth below.
Requests for Copy, Right to Know, and Deletion of Information. California consumers have the right to make the following requests up to twice every 12 months:
- The right to request a copy of the specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you in the prior 12 months.
- The right to request details about the categories of personal information we collect, the categories of sources, the business or commercial purposes for collecting information, and the categories of third parties with which we share information.
- The right to request deletion of their personal information that we have collected about you, subject to certain exemptions (for example, where the information is used by us to detect security incidents, debugging or to comply with a legal obligation).
Incentives and Discrimination. The CCPA prohibits discrimination against California consumers for exercising their rights under the CCPA, unless the different prices, rates, or quality of goods or services is reasonably related to the value of the consumer’s data. We will not discriminate against you if you exercise your CCPA rights.
11. Contact Us
12. Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on our Site, at smartrent.com/privacy. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our Site, or notify you via your phone number, email address or mobile app.