Effective March 24, 2020
By visiting the Site, using or downloading the App, or using any of our Services, you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this Policy. Your use of our Site or Services, and any dispute over privacy, is subject to this Policy and our Terms of Service, including applicable limitations on damages and the resolution of disputes. SmartRent’s Terms of Service are incorporated by reference into this Policy.
- Personal Information We Collect About You
- How We Use Your Personal Information
- How We Share Your Personal Information
- Third-Party Links
- Security of Personal Information
- Access to Personal Information
- What Choices Do I Have Regarding My Personal Info
- Children under 13
- Privacy Notice for California Residents
- Contact Us
- Changes to this Policy
1. Personal Information We Collect About You
We collect personal information about you directly from you and from third parties, as well as automatically through your use of our Site or Services.
Information We Collect Directly From You. Certain areas and features of our Services require registration. To register, you must provide or verify your full name, email address, password, and phone number. We may collect additional information from you during registration, however, you are not required to provide us with this information.
Information We Collect Automatically. We may automatically collect information about your use of our Site or Services through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies, including technologies designed for mobile apps. We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal information. Please see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below for more information.
- domain name;
- your browser type and operating system;
- web pages you view; links you click; your IP address;
- the length of time you visit our Site and/or use our Services; and
- the referring URL, or the webpage that led you to our Site.
- your device’s location information. With your consent, we will collect location information. We use this information for the purposes described in this Policy, to ensure our Site and Service work and are displayed properly, for security purposes, to send you notifications and for the uses described below or at the time of collection.
App & Services:
- mobile device & AD IDs; device name and model; operating system type, name, and version;
- language information;
- activities and information collected by or within the App and Services, such as turning lights on and off, temperature settings, leak monitoring, photographs, CCTV, parking, movement throughout the Property, access to public and private areas of the Property, etc.
- the length of time that you are logged into our App or Services; and
- location information: with your consent, we will collect location information from your mobile or other device to enable features or use of our Services. You may choose to disable this feature, but there may be a loss of some functionality within the App and you may not be able to use or access some of our Services if you do so.
2. How We Use Your Personal Information
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Providing and Improving our Services: To provide our Services, to communicate with you and others about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other customer service purposes.
- Tailoring Content: To tailor the content and information that we may send or display, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or our Services.
- Marketing and Communications: For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your mobile phone number, our App, or your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our Services on third party sites.
- Research and Analytics: To better understand how you access and use our Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site and Services and respond to your desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
- Protecting Rights and Interests: To protect the safety, rights, property, or security of SmartRent, the Services, any third party, or the general public; to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues; to prevent or stop activity that SmartRent, in its sole discretion, may consider to be, or pose a risk of being, an illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity; to use as evidence in litigation; to conduct audits; and to enforce this Policy and our Terms of Service.
- Legal Compliance: To comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; to respond to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a governmental authority.
3. How We Share Your Personal Information
5. Third-Party Links
6. Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100 percent security.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
7. Access to My Personal Information
You may modify personal information that you have submitted by logging into your account and updating your profile information. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Site or App.
8. What Choices Do I Have Regarding Marketing Messages?
We may send periodic promotional or informational messages to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the instructions contained in the message. If you opt-out of receiving messages about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you transactional or other emails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
9. Children Under 13
Our Services are not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
10. Privacy Notice for California Residents
Categories of Personal Information that We Collect and Disclose
As required by the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), the below discloses the categories of personal information about California consumers that we collect and disclose for a business purpose, where we are a “business.”
SmartRent is a “business” as defined by the CCPA only for the personal information we collect from users of our Services where we control the purpose and means of processing such personal information. Where we receive personal information on behalf of Landlords and other third parties, SmartRent is a “service provider” as defined by the CCPA. SmartRent does not “sell” your personal information as that term is defined under the CCPA.
As a business, SmartRent collects and discloses for a business purpose the following categories of personal information about you:
- Identifiers, such as name, email address, online and unique identifiers, Internet Protocol address.
- Customer Information, such as name, address, telephone number, payment card number (collected by our payment processor if you make a purchase).
- Commercial Information, such as products or services purchased, obtained, or considered.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an Internet website, application, or advertisement.
- Geolocation Data
- Audio, Visual and other Electronic Data
- Profiles and Inferences
We receive your personal information from you, either when you provide it directly or when you use our Services. Please see above for information on the purposes for which we collect your personal information. Please see “How We Share Your Personal Information” above for information on the categories of third parties with which we share your personal information.
California Consumer Rights
California law grants consumers certain rights and imposes restrictions on particular business practices as set forth below.
Requests for Copy, Right to Know, and Deletion of Personal Information. California consumers have the right to make the following requests from businesses up to twice every 12 months:
- The right to request a copy of the specific pieces of personal information that a business has collected about you in the prior 12 months.
- The right to request details about the categories of personal information a business collected, the categories of sources, the business or commercial purposes for collecting personal information, and the categories of third parties with which the business shares personal information.
- The right to request deletion of their personal information that a business has collected about you, subject to certain exemptions (for example, where the information is used by us to detect security incidents, debugging or to comply with a legal obligation).
Submitting Requests. You or your authorized agent can submit a copy, deletion and right-to-know request online at our California Consumer Rights Page, smartrent.com/ccpa, or by emailing us at [email protected]. Account holders who log in may also submit verified requests in some cases. In general, we will verify your request and your identity with the information provided so that we may match it to information that we maintain about you and/or through a third-party identity verification service. Authorized agents will be required to submit additional verification that they are in fact authorized by you to make a deletion request or request for disclosure of information. In order to verify your request and protect your privacy, we may need you to supply additional information. Please note, if we have receive your request in our role as a Service Provider, we will refer your request to the Business we support.
Incentives and Discrimination. The CCPA prohibits discrimination against California consumers for exercising their rights under the CCPA, unless the different prices, rates, or quality of goods or services is reasonably related to the value of the consumer’s data. We will not discriminate against you if you exercise your CCPA rights.
11. Contact Us
12. Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on our Site, at smartrent.com/privacy.